12.50%
1 12.50%
Devastated Room of Devastation (Blocky)
25.00%
2 25.00%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Makeshift Poll
In the absence of an official poll here's a makeshift one.

(03-17-2017, 12:14 AM)SethDrallitoc Wrote:
(03-17-2017, 12:12 AM)extraevildave Wrote: In the absence of an official poll here's a makeshift one.

No "poll".
For some reason the poll didn't appear on the first posting.  The message was posted and then it sent me back to the poll section and made me redo the whole thing.
Great, thanks for that.
My apologies for not responding sooner. I just came here to find messages in my inbox!

I thought I was set up to receive email notifications... and I am... but the damned things went into my spam folder and as I get about about 8000 spams a month (that works out at 1 every 6 minutes), I don't check in there. It's a consequence of running a web server.

So, now that I am here, what's the difference between this "makeshift" poll and an "official" one? What was I being asked to do that hasn't already been done? Smile
(03-17-2017, 06:34 PM)AndySlater Wrote: So, now that I am here, what's the difference between this "makeshift" poll and an "official" one?  What was I being asked to do that hasn't already been done?  Smile

In all previous competitions it went into the "Important Threads" section with the final entries below for easy reference when voting (and official polls are all shiny and precious). 
Huzzah, victory is mine. Big Grin

I've already got a couple of ideas for the next comp, hopefully I'll get to post the final decision soon.
(03-22-2017, 09:18 AM)extraevildave Wrote:
(03-17-2017, 06:34 PM)AndySlater Wrote: So, now that I am here, what's the difference between this "makeshift" poll and an "official" one?  What was I being asked to do that hasn't already been done?  Smile

In all previous competitions it went into the "Important Threads" section with the final entries below for easy reference when voting (and official polls are all shiny and precious). 

I KNOW this isn't your intention, but please try not to waste me time.  In order to ascertain what you might mean by "shiny and precious" I've just taken a look at the last few competitions in which the polls have not been moved to the "Important Threads" section.  Indeed, there are a good number of competitions where criteria and final entries have NOT been moved there.  There's nothing "shiny and precious" about them.  So why you guys hung around waiting for me on this occasion, rather than just getting on with it, is beyond my understanding.

The only difference between an "Important" and "Normal" thread is a flag; it's the same as "sticky" on other forum software, and only available to moderators and admins.

Now I've also just looked into what would be involved in giving a few people moderator status on this software.  However this would give also give them a bunch of other potentially problematic powers, and thus seems excessive given that all that's really needed is:

1. The ability to upgrade a post to "Important".

2. The ability to create a new sub-forum for the next competition.

Consequently I am NOT going to create moderators and instead you will have to ask me when a new sub-forum needs creating (the person organising the new competition can contact me telling me what they want it it be called).  Similarly when criteria, finished entry, and poll threads HAVE BEEN CREATED, the person who created them can contact me.  Obviously you will have to wait for me to create new competition forums before anything else can be done.  But NOT so with criteria, finished, and poll threads.  I will endeavour to respond ASAP to any requests, but please don't wait around when there really is no need.

Just bear in mind guys, that the reason I'm back as admin is because Melly is bogged down with other commitments and needed to quit.  I'm back, as opposed to handing it to somebody else, mainly because I do not have time to give anyone else the support they would need to take over.

Work with me guys: if you NEED something: ask me, but if you can do it yourself and/or work around it until I get chance to respond, then please just get on with it.
Well done, extradevildave, congratulations!

I'm curious what comes next...?

@Andy: thanks for letting us know, it's always good to have clear instructions. I think with your suggestions the comp moderator should be able to work most of the things out alone.
(03-22-2017, 10:16 AM)Alabastero Wrote: Well done, extradevildave, congratulations!

I'm curious what comes next...?
Thanks Alabastero.

I'm going away in a couple of days and won't be back for over a week, so just in case the new comp thread isn't started before I go, this will allow you to get started.

TG COMP XIV

All Natural (well mostly)

For this competition entrants must create naturally occurring terrain, meaning something that was not created by sentient beings.  It can be real world, sci-fi or fantasy setting as long as it’s natural.  For the purposes of this competition, Tyranid, Kryomek, post-apocalyptic mutations and the like are acceptable.  A small amount (10%) of sentient-made stuff is also allowable as long as it's only a small detail.

Minimum base size is 113 square cm or 12½ square inches which is roughly CD size (near enough is good enough).  Multiple smaller pieces are fine as long as the total combined area is at least CD sized and they are all from the same type of environment.

Possible examples:   Vegetation, rocks, water courses, sand dunes, icebergs, lava flows, an entire battlefield, as long as it’s natural and fits the minimum size requirement anything goes.

Bonus points for including signs of a critter.
Don't **** with me Dave.  I said contact me as ask when you need something done i.e. don't just post it on the forum and hope I see it.  Your attitude with this and with the poll is annoying me.  Work with me or you are history.  I do not have time for this ****.

I will now go create the sub-form.  Contact me when you have posted criteria and want the thread moving.  If you CONTACT ME with an end date, I can put that in place too.