Mock zombie attack with some terrain I just finished!
The flocking / basing on the zombie and 2 stone pieces are my first attempts. Any tips? 

http://imgur.com/sQPRyev

[Image: sQPRyev]
That's a good start.

- What flock did you use and what effect did you want to achieve?
- Do you still need the grid for the game rules? Because that limits the amount of flock you could add to your surface.
  The basing of the zombie nearest to the camera looks fine, use it as a stock standard for most of your zombies.
For a bit of variety you can occasionally add something different to a base, for examples, a small rock, a tree stump or fallen branch, a small shrub, some weeds or a patch of flowers, an abandoned weapon or shield, whatever seems right.
Also you can't go far wrong with a few grass tufts, I use an assortment from MiniNatur, and Warlord Games.

Ahh, the standard colour scheme for EVERYBODY'S first rocks, black and shades of grey.

Forget colours, texture is what you need to start with.  A mixture of small stones, gravel and sand around the base will make it blend into your playing surface a bit more and maybe mix in a few small plants.

Out of time, gotta go, hope that's some help.  
(03-10-2017, 04:17 AM)Alabastero Wrote: That's a good start.

- What flock did you use and what effect did you want to achieve?
- Do you still need the grid for the game rules? Because that limits the amount of flock you could add to your surface.

Thank you! Honestly I dont know what I was trying to achieve on these pieces besides just doing it. Kinda of tested how to make the little rocks shine through etc. 

The flock I used was Woodland Scenics - Blended Turf. The craft store didnt have any other shades so I'm just working with this for now. I cant shadow and lighten grass at the moment. I applied watered down pva both to stick the flock and seal the flock. 

I want to test a semi grid showing out of bits of the grass but havent come up with a good way, or time, to even try yet. I figured I could make a few measuring sticks ranging from 4-7 inches and use them for movement on grassy terrain. 
(03-10-2017, 05:12 AM)extraevildave Wrote:   The basing of the zombie nearest to the camera looks fine, use it as a stock standard for most of your zombies.
For a bit of variety you can occasionally add something different to a base, for examples, a small rock, a tree stump or fallen branch, a small shrub, some weeds or a patch of flowers, an abandoned weapon or shield, whatever seems right.
Also you can't go far wrong with a few grass tufts, I use an assortment from MiniNatur, and Warlord Games.

Ahh, the standard colour scheme for EVERYBODY'S first rocks, black and shades of grey.

Forget colours, texture is what you need to start with.  A mixture of small stones, gravel and sand around the base will make it blend into your playing surface a bit more and maybe mix in a few small plants.

Out of time, gotta go, hope that's some help.  

Great ideas. Thank you. I wanted to avoid texturing the bottom of the large stone pieces because everything is modular and having bits of gravel hanging of the sides will break off easy. I understand I could base each item but honestly for now that would take to much time and I like how the large stone pieces sit on each other un-based. I have lots and lots more than what is in this picture, but it is all underground stone and grided. These are my first attempts at creating a forrest-y environment. I think I may go generally gridless for green environments.

I attempted to gravel the top of two stone pieces you can see here, as well as the miniature skellie. These are also my first try with gravel. 

I do want to create a whole set for above ground encounters that are based and flocked while having a separate set for underground, eventually.