Mordheim - Wizards Tower Pen/Pencil Holder
A WiP moved from the old forums.

[Image: imag0449-jpg.3021]

A small build that I am making trying to get some of my more artistic students (I'm actually their English teacher!) to try their hand at modelling and model making.

My original Idea was just to make some jazzed up pencil holders, but a fellow forum goer on another site convinced me to start up Mordheim again - I thought I would merge the two and make a fantasy Wizards Tower than is also a Pencil Holder.

First up - most of the materials I'll be using - a tube of potato crisps (a Pringles copy), some cereal packet card and a little 3mm Artboard. The mini you can see is an Empire Militia figure (although, this one has been converted for Necro - but, the head, body and legs are all Empire, so is exactly right for Mordheim.

[Image: imag0364-jpg.2703]

Next, used some 3mm artboard and cut out a door, but even at only 3mm, it was too thick, so I sliced it through the middle, leaving 2 doors at about 1.5mm each (use the other for a future tower) I also did the same with the windows, 2 became 4.

[Image: imag0365-jpg.2704]

Next up, some brick work.

Cut many (MANY!) 10mm x 5mm (ish) rectangles, before gluing to the surface, I rolled them around a pencil to make them a little curved rather then just flat. The larger white brick, is the inner part of the window that I sliced in half for a few bolder bricks that stick out in places.

[Image: imag0366-jpg.2705]

I actually found this part very relaxing, the below picture is about 45minutes work.

[Image: imag0367-jpg.2706]
Finished the bricks (you can see below) and glued to a CD base (as it'll need to be wide at the bottom...

Next up the roof.

Of all my various bits of modelling kit at home, I don't have a Compass (the circle drawing kind), so I used my hands to give me an idea of the angle of roof, then found a bowl that was similar in size and drew round that.

[Image: imag0368-jpg.2716]

I will also utilize the lid to help with the roof - the center of the plastic lid was cut out, so that any larger pens/pencils can just use the real estate in the roof as well.

[Image: imag0369-jpg.2717]

Circle cut out, folded around to make a cone, used masking tape and copious amounts of PVA to hold it in place with the original plastic top edge inside to act as the lid and to ensure that the cone is still round.

The ramshackle slates were made the same as the bricks - same cereal card (a bit larger and cut more randomly) again, curved before gluing down.

The very top of the roof is wrong here, It will be amended further down (don't worry)

[Image: imag0370-jpg.2718]
[Image: imag0372-jpg.2722]
Roof fixed.

[Image: imag0373-jpg.2726]

Started work on the door as well - just some card with two horizontal strips and a bit diagonally.

Oh, it was added earlier, but neglected to mention it, under the door is a small bit of artboard that I have cut and gouged lumps out of to make it look like a well used step.

[Image: imag0374-jpg.2727]

[Image: imag0375-jpg.2728]
Started work on the base - a mix of crushed blackboard chalk with PVA and a little water. ( I call it BaseGoo) It's the same stuff I used for my Necromunda builds.

[Image: imag0376-jpg.2732]

Takes a couple of hours to dry completely - obviously, the more and longer you crush the chalk, the finer the grain will be.

[Image: imag0380-jpg.2738]
[+] 1 user Likes djmothra's post
Lookin' good so far!
[+] 1 user Likes Munin's post
I definitely like where this is headed. Those bricks, though quite time consuming, are quite lovely and really give it a great texture. I especially like the few thicker ones sticking out in places as the variation really helps sell the overall effect. The door looks great as well, though it might benefit from some basic scoring to give it more of a wood grain effect (unless you plan to do that with the paint?)
Sweet base goo! I've never heard of chalk being used as texture before, but I like it. I'm going to have to remember that one. Smile
Remember all, this is a repost from the old forums - I also added some pics of this over on Mel's (The Terrain Tutor) Terrainiacs FaceBook page and he posted it up on his own - So I'm going to complete this WiP and add the link to the new TG site to it, hopefully, that'll get some traffic from Mels pages to here again Smile

----------------------------------------------

Started painting - after a black spray prime - work began on the roof. Using a bright red Artist acrylic, and did a heavy drybrush.

[Image: imag0383-jpg.2762]

Next up, the bricks themselves - again, using heavy drybrushing, this time with a grey that I have mixed up.

[Image: imag0384-jpg.2763]

[Image: 10013228.jpg]

Base painted grey and the door painted brown (this is the same brown I use in my rusty items - Burnt Sienna)

[Image: imag0387-jpg.2766]

Door and base given a black wash.

[Image: imag0390-jpg.2773]
Windows - a rather unusual picture I'm sure you will agree - it is the thin plastic backing to a disposable gel-pack (the ones you put on your forehead if you have headache/temperature etc) - I've given this a very light white dry-brush (there was still a tiny amount of red on the brush though, so it's actually a very off white/pink Brick wall )
I have previously used this stuff on my Necromunda builds, mainly as grating for walkways.

[Image: imag0394-jpg.2774]

Showing where the plastic gel backing was used - as old window panes. The plastic was measured and cut to fit each window individually.

[Image: imag0396-jpg.2776]

Base highlighted (it matches my Necro Scenery and all my mini bases!) - also see the start of an old vine climbing up the side of the tower.

[Image: imag0395-jpg.2775]

Last pic showing the full vine climbing up the side of the tower.

[Image: imag0397-jpg.2777]
[+] 1 user Likes djmothra's post
Added some paint to the vine - made to look dry and dead - Agrax and bone highlight. Also added a semi buried knights shield with my school logo on it - see if the students can spot it!

Will add some dry grass and some homemade mushrooms too.

[Image: imag0403-jpg.2865]

[Image: imag0404-jpg.2866]

[Image: imag0447-jpg.3019]

[Image: imag0448-jpg.3020]